Do you have painful joints or muscles? At Sulis Hospital Bath, you’ll be seen by an experienced consultant, fast.
If you’re suffering from painful joints or muscles, wouldn’t it be nice if you could meet with a leading consultant, talk to them about your symptoms and then learn what treatment or pain management they’d advise?
Now imagine being able to do that without having to wait weeks or months for an appointment. Wouldn’t that be a refreshing change?
Here at Sulis Hospital Bath, we can provide you with exactly that. We have no waiting lists so can quickly arrange an appointment for you with a leading consultant.
With world-class, state-of-the-art facilities and equipment it’s no wonder that so many rheumatology consultants choose to see and treat their patients at Sulis Hospital Bath.
When you visit with us, you’ll benefit from an exceptional level of dedicated care tailored just for you, in luxurious and award-winning surroundings.
We’re experts in treating inflammation and pain in the joints and muscles. Our team of highly-experienced medical professionals are here to help ensure you receive the best treatment possible.
Rheumatism is a general term used to describe inflammation and pain in the joints, muscles and surrounding tissues. A doctor who specialises in this area is called a rheumatologist.
There are a range of conditions that our rheumatology team can help with, including
- Rheumatoid arthritis: an inflammatory joint disease
- Osteoarthritis: particularly common in the hips, knees and hands
- Gout: an inflammatory form of arthritis that causes hot, swollen and painful joints
- Polymyalgia rheumatica: causes stiffness and pain, mainly in the shoulder muscles
- Osteoporosis: a condition that weakens the bones, making them more likely to break.
If you’re experiencing significant or longstanding pain or stiffness in your joints or muscles, why not get in touch with us today and book an appointment with one of our consultants?
At Sulis Hospital Bath, our two priorities for any treatment are:
- To accurately diagnose the problem
- To start treatment as soon as possible, so that you’re not in unnecessary pain or discomfort
At Sulis Hospital Bath, your diagnosis and treatment will be carried out by one of our specialist rheumatology consultants. An expert in their field, they’ll focus on getting your problem accurately diagnosed and treated quickly and safely.
When you book an appointment with us, you’ll be seen by one of our friendly consultants who specialise in rheumatic pains.
They’ll chat with you about any pain you’re experiencing, your symptoms and your previous medical history to get a clear understanding of things.
They’ll have a thorough examination of the affected area and may ask you to move the affected area in specific ways. This will help them to understand exactly what the issues are and will allow them to see the range of motion you currently have and precisely where and when you experience any pain, stiffness or discomfort.
If they’d like any further tests carried out to aid diagnosis you’ll have them carried out on the very same day (we don’t want you to have the hassle of needing to come back to us on a different day just for these tests).
Some of the tests they may want to carry out include:
- a blood test
- an X-ray: can be helpful in showing bones and joints
- an MRI scan: this uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to create an image useful in showing what’s going on in the affected area
- an ultrasound: this can be useful in evaluating joint and soft tissue problems
Not all of these tests will be carried out, and the consultant may want you to have additional tests that aren’t listed here. These will all be thoroughly explained to you beforehand so that you know how the tests will be carried out and why they’re being done.
You’ll be pleased to know that we believe in giving you a quick, accurate diagnosis. After all, why should you have to wait 10 days (or more) for your results to come back? A longer wait for results just means additional pain, discomfort and uncertainty that you don’t need.
In fact, we have specialist radiology consultants (called radiologists) on-site who are able to give a rapid diagnosis from any X-rays, MRI scans or ultrasounds carried out.
Following your appointment the consultant may determine from the tests and examination that treatment can be by non-surgical means such as physiotherapy, nutrition, medication etc.
Sometimes if the issues is causing extremely severe pain or stiffness, you may be advised that surgery will be required to treat the problem effectively. If this is the case, the consultant will talk you through the process thoroughly and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
If you do require help managing and dealing with a rheumatic problem, we believe you’ll find no better place to come than Sulis Hospital Bath.
With our state-of-the-art equipment, purpose-built hospital and a medical team that includes some of the top rheumatology consultants in the country, you can be assured of receiving the highest quality of care.
At Sulis Hospital Bath we like to do things differently. That’s why, unlike many other hospitals, you’ll benefit by:
- receiving your treatment within two weeks of initial diagnosis: with no waiting lists, we can get your problem diagnosed and treated quickly (this also means we’ll be able to start managing your pain sooner).
- being treated by our specialist doctors: our consultants are among the very best in the field. In fact, Dr Sengupta who has a private practice at Sulis Hospital Bath was the recipient of the 2016 NASS Patients' Choice award for the best care provided by a Rheumatologist. Doesn’t he sound exactly like the type of doctor you’d want in charge of your treatment?
- our multidisciplinary team: we’ve built a strong team of medical experts who work together to achieve the best possible results. With over 150 consultants in more than 40 different specialities we’re able to draw upon a vast amount of shared experience. This means that you’ll always receive the very best treatment possible based on current medical knowledge and best practice.
- 99% of our patients would recommend us to their friends and family
If you’re suffering with pain or stiffness in your joints or muscles, please don’t think you have to just grin and bear it. We can help to treat you and to manage the pain. Why not get in touch with us today and book your appointment?
Dr Raj Sengupta
Consultant RheumatologistView profile
Fast track your treatment
Simply enter your details below and we will be in touch. We are here to answer any questions you might have and can provide a guide price for surgery.