Spinal Surgery And Neurosurgery Unit
Have your neck and back problems treated by the world-class specialist medical team at Sulis Hospital Bath.
Patients from around the world travel to Sulis Hospital Bath for treatment in our specialist Spinal and Neurosurgery Unit.
With our state-of-the-art facilities and a dedicated multidisciplinary team, it’s very easy to see why consultants prefer to see and treat their spinal patients here.
When you visit with us, you’ll benefit from an incredible level of dedicated care tailored just for you, in luxurious award-winning surroundings, from highly-trained and experienced staff.
In this world-class hospital environment, we always have the very latest diagnostic and imaging technology available in order for us to be able to treat you quickly, safely and effectively.
We’re experts in spinal problems and neurosurgery and have an experienced team of professionals who will provide you with a level of treatment that is, quite simply, exceptional.
Your spinal cord is enclosed within the bones in your back (vertebrae), which means that a problem with the back can also cause neurological disorders (problems with your nervous system).
As a result, the reasons people visit us at the Spinal and Neurosurgery Unit can be extremely varied:
- You may have a spine that deviates from the normal straight alignment when viewed from the back (this is called scoliosis), and you’d like to have it managed or treated
- Maybe you have constant levels of disabling pain in your lower back caused by an instability in the joints
- Perhaps you’ve been experiencing a combination of gait disturbance, progressive dementia and urinary incontinence
In the Spinal and Neurosurgery Unit here at Sulis Hospital Bath, we concentrate exclusively on treating problems of the cervical (neck), thoracic (upper back) and lumbar (lower back) spine for patients.
We offer a number of specialised spinal treatments and procedures, including:
- Cervical disc replacement
- Spinal fusion
- Scoliosis treatment
- Spinal neurosurgery
Whatever the symptoms or issues you’re experiencing, if you need to talk to someone about the treatments available for your back or neck problems, our expert and highly experienced team is here to help.
When you book an appointment at Sulis Hospital Bath, you’ll be seen by one of our friendly consultants who specialise in disorders of the neck and spine.
In our comfortable, modern consultation rooms, they’ll have a detailed chat with you about your symptoms and any pain you’re experiencing as well as talking about your previous medical history in order to get a thorough understanding of things.
They’ll probably want to examine you to see the extent of your back or neck problem and may want to carry out some additional diagnostic tests to help them assess your exact needs.
At Sulis Hospital Bath, we have a wide range of state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to ensure that any tests required can be carried out on the same day as your consultation (we don’t want you to have the hassle of needing to come back on a different day for these tests).
Some tests your consultant may want you to have include:
- an x-ray of your neck or back
- a CT (computerised tomography) scan: this can help the consultant visualise your bones in 3D, giving them a clearer picture of what’s going on.
- an MRI scan: this is particularly good when nerve, muscular or ligament and tendon issues are suspected
- a blood test: to check if there are any signs of inflammation or infection that may be causing your symptoms
Not all of these tests will necessarily be required, and the consultant may want you to have additional tests that aren’t listed above. (Rest assured, any tests you do have will be thoroughly explained to you beforehand so that you know how they’ll be carried out and why they’re being done.)
In the Spinal and Neurosurgery Unit, we believe in a fully integrated approach to your treatment. This means that all cases are reviewed by a multidisciplinary team comprising a spine surgeon, pain specialist, specialist nurse and physiotherapist. This means that you will always get the best treatment advice available.
It should be noted that sometimes after this initial meeting the consultant may decide that surgery isn’t needed and that treatment can be provided by some other means (for example physiotherapy or spinal injections).
If it’s determined that surgery on your neck or spine is required, the consultant will talk you through the process thoroughly and answer any questions or concerns that you may have.
If you do require treatment for your neck or back problem, you’ll find no better place to come than Sulis Hospital Bath.
With our state-of-the-art equipment, world-class facilities and a team that includes some of the top spinal surgeons and neurosurgeons in the country, you can be assured you’ll always be in expert and experienced hands.
At Sulis Hospital Bath, we like to do things differently. We focus on you first and foremost, in everything that we do. That’s why, unlike many other hospitals, you’ll benefit from:
- receiving your treatment within two weeks of initial diagnosis: with no waiting lists, we can get you treated quickly.
- treatment by a specialist consultant surgeon: with decades of shared experience treating neck and back disorders, our consultants include internationally-renowned surgeons and neurosurgeons (in fact, they’re often asked for help and advice from other specialists).
- luxurious facilities in our dedicated Spinal and Neurosurgery Unit: where every member of staff is an expert in spinal disorders. They’re always ready to assist with anything you may need.
- the depth of our expertise in managing spinal disorders: we have built an incredibly strong and diverse team of like-minded medical experts who all work together every day to carry out the best possible treatment and management for spinal disorders. Being able to draw upon such a vast amount of shared experience means you’ll always receive the absolute best help and support possible.
We know you’d prefer your back and neck to not need any treatment. But if you do require help - whether surgical or non-surgical - why not receive it from the very best neck and back consultants, in the very finest hospital and with the very best possible care?
Lumbar disc arthroplasty
Lumbar spine microsurgery
Management of back pain
Minimally invasive spinal procedures
Normal pressure hydrocephalus
Mr Richard Edwards
Consultant Spinal and NeurosurgeonView profile
Mr Priyan Landham
Consultant Orthopaedic Spinal SurgeonView profile
Mr Otto Von Arx
Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal SurgeonView profile
Fast track your treatment
Simply enter your details below and we will be in touch. We are here to answer any questions you might have and can provide a guide price for surgery.